Aquaponics in the Yard – Week 6

Engineering Midterms made it a little crazy to update, so here a summary of the last two weeks.

The bell pepper plant didn’t make it.  It never had any new root growth, and started to deteriorate until it competely turned brown.  The new feeders kept dying so I left the original four or so and they survived.  The mint did well underneath, but the lettuce is still suffering.  It’s root ball has not completely decended like the mint.  I added two Koi fish to the tank and they are doing fine.  I also purchased pellets that I’ll start using once the flakes run out for the fish. 

The cilantro and mint are doing well, and the lettice is starting to rise so it’s about time to harvest.  I was told to harvest it before the flower shows, otherwise it will taste bad.  For the next round I will be planting Iceberg lettuce, on the underside, and on top, to compare.  The mint will stay permanently below, and I will grow the tomatoes and peppers on top.  The strawberries and coming out small, and I am definitely having root rot issues with some of them.  A drip began coming off of one of them and was killing the plant below.  I keep eating a strawberry here and there weekly but it’s not enough to justify the system right now.  I am hoping the other veggies will make up for it, but I need to add more fish.

I noticed, as the root balls grew, the water flow went down, and I believe I am getting root rot because of this.  I plan to drill a lower drainage hole to bring down the water level, in hoped that this will decrease the root rot problem.


Comments are closed.