Also an Avian Shelter for birds

Apparently our home is becoming an animal shelter.

About a month ago a baby dove fell from our coconut tree.  My family and I didn’t know what would happen to it at a shelter so we decided to feed it.  My cousin, who ran a mobile Pet Shop for a while suggested what food and how to feed the dove.

On a side note: I used to shoot these guys with my BB gun when I was a kid until my mom caught me and said not to kill animals for no reason.  I lied, said I was gonna eat it.  Let’s just say my Dad ended up showing me how to cook a bird and I never killed them again.  Even though if I ever need to, and times are tough, roast dove will do the trick.

So we bought this food, which you mix with water.  When my hand was presented to his mouth he would but his beak between my fingers and perform the same motion as when his mother feeds him, except for the fact that it’s mouth would stay closed.

For the two nights he ate parakeet food grounded down and mixed with water and bread.  Until we bought this food.  We basically pried his mouth open with our fingers gently, and jammed the food in there.  He (we’ll call it a he for now) would swallow it and then start chirping for more.

With the formula, you just mix it with water and serve it through a feeding syringe until the gullet (area right under the neck) was full.

Well, to make a long story short, my grandma would feed him while I was at work, and my Dad would feed him when he got home.  So they’ve pretty much adopted the dove now and letting it go is going to be a difficult task.  Here he is now:

And then today, a Blue Jay!!

So last night, there was a baby bird in the middle of the street surrounded by about 10 stray cats.  One cat clawed him in the stomach and he started chirping and then they backed off.  My old man heard the commotion and went to see what was going on.  He shod away the cats and grabbed the little bird.  Turned out to be a baby Blue Jay.

Being that I had to work, and my grandmother didn’t wanna baby sit any more birds, I decided to put him in a shoe box and figure it out later.  Worst case scenario, he was already gonna die so feeding him twice a day would only have increased his odds of survival.  So I put him in a shoebox, I figured we’d solve it today.  He was trying to get out for about 2 hours until he gave up hope.

Turns out momma was looking for him in the morning.  She was chirping away on top of a power line, so we put him in a bush, and she came and got him, then they flew off together.  I hope the hole in his chest from the cat heals.

Comments are closed.